Independent of Chromaphores
dRI is part of standard instrumentation for a variety of macromolecular characterization techniques including standard chromatography, SEC-MALS, FFF-MALS and CG-MALS.
Unique dRI Detector
The Optilab® is a unique dRI detector for standard HPLC/GPC with 256 times the detection power and 50 times the dynamic range of every other RI detector for chromatography in existence today, making it a valuable addition to any MALS setup.
Using a combination of cutting-edge semiconductor photodiode technology and proprietary computer algorithms, the Optilab achieves an unprecedented combination of sensitivity and range. These features mean that it addresses both standard chromatographic applications and some challenges unique to light scattering measurements such as high concentrations, determination of sample refractive increments (dn/dc) and solvent refractive index.
- Extraordinary dRI measurement range, -0.0047 to +0.0047 RIU (comparable to 25 mg/mL protein in PBS)
- Highly sensitive, ±7.5 x 10-10 RIU across the entire measurement range
- Measures solvent absolute refractive index, required for MALS calculations
- Measures at the same wavelength as the MALS detector, for maximum accuracy in MALS calculations
- Band broadening < 20 µL preserves SEC resolution
- Temperature range 4 °C to 65 °C for proteins and polymers that require a range of temperatures
- High-resolution, touch-screen front panel displays data graphs and diagnostics, even with the host computer turned off
Even though the Optilab offers a dRI measurement range orders of magnitude beyond that of other dRI detectors, unlike other detectors there are no range or gain settings in the Optilab. The full range of instrument detection is always present, and the full sensitivity exists over the entire range.
The Optilab can also do something no other on-line refractive index detector can: it can measure the absolute refractive index of a solution. In addition, it can measure the dn/dc of a solvent at the same wavelength of light as the light scattering instrument. And just to make sure it can't be matched, you can replace the light source in the Optilab for other wavelengths (e.g., 690, 633, 488, etc.) in just minutes!
The Optilab can go below ambient temperatures as easily as above ambient. No hassle temperature control can be programmed from 4 °C to 65 °C. Compatible with all HPLC systems.