Kangourou des Mathématiques, hosted by Editions ATL, is the world’s largest math testing competition for French- speaking students ages 8 to 18. In 2006, nearly 300,000 students representing 37 European, Asian and North American countries took part in the competition. Kangourou des Mathématiques consists of a math quiz containing 24 multiple-choice questions and is complemented by mathematical handouts that simultaneously provide students with culture, entertainment and knowledge.
The completed answer sheet submitted by all participants contained the following information:
- 24 multiple-choice answers, each with five possible choices (A-E).
- Two tie-breaker answers used only in the event of a tie.
- The student’s first and last name in freeform handwriting.
- The student’s full address in freeform handwriting.
- The student’s grade or year of education, containing 19 possible choices.
- The student’s gender.
- A yes/no question about the computer equipment used by the student.
Download this case study below to discover the solution and results.