To support in the development and manufacture of biopharmaceuticals, Purolite has developed a range of pre-activated agarose resins. These resins enable manufacturers to couple their own ligands to develop affinity chromatography solutions. NHS, Epoxy and CNBr pre-activated chemistries are available in three particle sizes - 45 μm, 65 μm and 90 μm.
Praesto NHS Resins
Praesto NHS resins have been designed to offer a simple solution for the immobilization of ligands onto an agarose chromatography matrix, which can be utilized to make customized affinity resins This enables rapid scale-up from R&D proof of concept to larger scale bioprocess production columns.
Praesto NHS resins couple ligands which have a primary amine. Praesto NHS incorporates a spacer chain which separates the ligand from the chromatography matrix enabling maximum accessibility to the ligand.
The pre-activated NHS resin forms a stable amide linkage between the matrix and ligand resulting in very low ligand leakage and high caustic stability.
A common application for NHS resins is immobilization of antibodies to create immunosorbents. Coupling is via primary amino groups. Many well documented references are publicly available.
Key Performance Benefits
- Very low levels of non-specific binding due to the highly hydrophilic properties of the agarose base matrix
- Rigid base matrix allows significantly higher flow velocities then other pre-activated resins (e.g. Sepharose), making them suitable for process-scale operations - flow velocities are more than 100% higher
- Quick and straight forward coupling of ligands containing primary amines
- Spacer arm increases access to the NHS groups, maximizing ligand coupling and subsequent binding capacity
- Modern range of resins maximizes facility productivity, improving process economics significantly