Tesla, Google, and established car makers with vehicles that have an integrated autopilot function, have reached important milestones on the way to the self-propelled car. Thanks to distance radar antennas from HUBER+SUHNER, the dream of autonomous driving now comes a little closer.
In order to be able to drive vehicles accident-free on their own, they need radar systems which are capable of detecting obstacles even over long distances and in adverse weather conditions. HUBER+SUHNER has developed an antenna technology that allows new distance radar systems to provide a detailed picture of the vehicle environment.
Today's distance radar systems do not recognise details and thus supply too little information for autonomous driving. Thanks to new radiator geometries, three-dimensional signal distribution networks and extremely low losses, radar systems with HUBER+SUHNER antennas provide higher resolution images and can measure larger distances than previous systems.
Features & Benefits
- New antenna geometries unfeasible on printed circuit boards (PCB)
- Close to zero loss thanks to waveguide technology
- Enabling three-dimensional signal distribution networks (e.g. crossing lines)
- Highly repeatable performance thanks to tool based manufacturing
- Full radar surface can be used as aperture
- Metalised polymer antenna technology opens up a whole new world to radar antenna designs